The Minimum Training Standard is mandated by the Ministry of the Attorney General, Ontario Victim Services Secretariat, and is intended to equip Crisis Responders with knowledge, skills and principles to support and understand victims of crime and trauma. Victim Services of Nipissing District. provides online training along with a 16 hour in-class component. Additional on-going training may be provided during monthly meetings or at other scheduled times.
To become an active Volunteer Crisis Responder, individuals must be able to demonstrate that they have sufficient learning and understanding to employ their skills in crisis situations and must successfully complete an exam at the end of the training. Training is facilitated by Victim Services staff and includes several guest speaker presentations, the use of role-plays and regular mandatory reading materials from the training manual.
Training sessions are held twice annually (spring and fall) and are held in the evening. All materials are supplied and training is free.
The training program provides potential volunteers the opportunity to:
- Be trained to the standards as set by the Ministry of the Attorney General
- Enhance skills and confidence needed to respond effectively and appropriately in a crisis
- Learn more about the service and their role within it
- Satisfy their need for social interaction and special knowledge
- Learn more about resources in the community
- To form an identity with the program and further develop a relationship with the Victim Services staff and other team members
The content of the training will include but is not limited to the following:
- Impact of Victimization
- Understanding our Communities
- Confidentiality and Ethics of Helping
- Police Roles, Responsibilities & Procedures
- Volunteer Roles, Responsibilities & Procedures
- Communication/Listening Skills
- Crisis Intervention/Understanding Trauma
- Suicide Awareness
- Partner Assault
- Sexual Assault
- Elder Abuse
- Death Notification and Bereavement
- Property Related Crimes
- Multi-Casualty Incidents
- Aboriginal/Immigrant/Minority Victims
- Victims with Disabilities
- Community Resources
Volunteer Training Attendance does not in itself guarantee acceptance into the Volunteer Program.